Sunday, November 9, 2008

Growing as a Disciple

I love reading Dallas Willard's insights into the means for a person to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ. Here are some notes I have made:

Growth Happens
26 He also said, "This is what the kingdom of God is like. A man scatters seed on the ground. 27 Night and day, whether he sleeps or gets up, the seed sprouts and grows, though he does not know how. 28 All by itself the soil produces grain--first the stalk, then the head, then the full kernel in the head. 29 As soon as the grain is ripe, he puts the sickle to it, because the harvest has come." Mark 4:26-29

Jesus said what?
“…teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.” Matthew 28:20
“…Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. Matthew 7:24

Master’s Invitation
Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." Matthew 11:28-30

Disciple of Jesus
· A continual student of Jesus
· An apprentice of Jesus who desires to be with Jesus to learn from Him how to be like Him.
· A normal Christian
· One who can live righteously

Consumer Christian
· One who utilizes the grace of God for forgiveness
· The services of the church to meet personal and family needs
· No intention of giving their life and innermost thoughts to the kingdom of heaven
· Outward compliance at best, no inward transformation

What do we believe?
REALLY believe? We say we trust God, but when things don’t go “right” what is our reaction?

Education’s Goal: Getting the right answer
Discipleship’s Goal: Living the right answer

Faulty primary objectives
1. External conformity
2. Profession of perfectly correct doctrine
3. Regular involvement in church activities
4. Special states of mind or ecstatic experiences

No comments: